- RSS Channel Showcase 9910051
- RSS Channel Showcase 4151125
- RSS Channel Showcase 4242238
- RSS Channel Showcase 9115374
Articles on this Page
- 06/30/12--19:02: _WAFFLES
- 06/30/12--19:46: _Y2K 2.0: How A Seco...
- 07/01/12--10:40: _Rupert Murdoch Clai...
- 07/01/12--10:57: _Baby Alpaca Isn't S...
- 07/01/12--12:56: _The 30 Best Things ...
- 07/01/12--13:18: _The Louis CK Pain C...
- 07/01/12--13:29: _A Baby Sloth Hangin...
- 07/01/12--13:41: _A Fourth Of July PSA
- 07/01/12--13:48: _This Is What The In...
- 07/26/12--13:04: _21 Puppy And Kitten...
- 07/26/12--13:36: _Golden Retrievers F...
- 07/26/12--14:03: _A Possum Eating A S...
- 07/27/12--07:46: _Oregon Zoo Releases...
- 07/27/12--08:51: _Cloned Dog Fathers ...
- 07/27/12--09:50: _Sleepy Kitten Falls...
- 07/27/12--13:51: _33 Totally Do-Able ...
- 07/27/12--14:29: _Teva The Sea Lion P...
- 07/28/12--08:05: _The Queen's Corgis ...
- 07/28/12--08:30: _The Most Endearingl...
- 07/28/12--09:18: _Lady Gaga Publishes...
- 06/30/12--19:02: WAFFLES
- 06/30/12--19:46: Y2K 2.0: How A Second Brought Down Half The Internets
- 07/01/12--10:57: Baby Alpaca Isn't Sleepy, He Swears!
- 07/01/12--12:56: The 30 Best Things Ever To Come From Canada
- 07/01/12--13:18: The Louis CK Pain Chart
- 07/01/12--13:29: A Baby Sloth Hanging Out In A Giant Rain Boot
- 07/01/12--13:41: A Fourth Of July PSA
- 07/01/12--13:48: This Is What The Inside Of A Camel's Mouth Looks Like
- 07/26/12--13:04: 21 Puppy And Kitten Yearbook Photos, Revealed!
- 07/26/12--13:36: Golden Retrievers Figure Out How To Get Their Own Ice
- 07/26/12--14:03: A Possum Eating A Strawberry
- 07/27/12--07:46: Oregon Zoo Releases Pygmy Rabbits To The Wild
- 07/27/12--08:51: Cloned Dog Fathers Eight Puppies
- 07/27/12--09:50: Sleepy Kitten Falls Asleep In His Food Bowl
- 07/27/12--13:51: 33 Totally Do-Able D.I.Y. Projects For Your Pets
- 07/27/12--14:29: Teva The Sea Lion Pup Is Born In Memphis
- 07/28/12--08:05: The Queen's Corgis Stole The Opening Ceremony Show
- 07/28/12--08:30: The Most Endearingly Geeky Marriage Proposal Ever
- 07/28/12--09:18: Lady Gaga Publishes Racy Nude Of Herself For Her Fans
The “leap second” was a one second adjustment made to the atomic clock tonight at 23:59:59 UT (just before 8pm ET). After it went into effect tonight, half the internet — including Reddit, FourSquare, Yelp, LinkedIn, Gawker StumbleUpon, and more — came crashing down. The outages were mostly (thankfully) brief. Here's how it happened.
The TL;DR version: There is a tiny gap between traditional "rotational time" and the modern "coordinated universal time," due to the fact that the earth spins a tiny bit slower every year due to tides and internal processes. No clock can accomodate an "extra second," so clocks are stopped for one second at 23:59:59 in order to add the "leap second" to our universal time.
Elisa Felicitas Arias of the International Bureau of Weights and Measures explained in 2008 that "It might seem stupid to say that you have a difference of only one second... but for the stock exchange, one second is important. For an airport, one second is important. For global navigation satellite systems, the difference of a second is unacceptable."
On his blog about working around potential leap second disasters, Marco Marongiu explained that even though the leap second has been added many times since it was introduced in the 1970s, many systems and applications have still not quite adjusted to the change. Here's another post, this one from Google, explaining how they account for the change to insure their products and services remain unaffected.
This morning, News Corporation Chairman and CEO Rupert Murdoch tweeted that, in the wake of the TomKat divorce, he believed Scientologists were “creepy, maybe even evil.” He says he's received hundreds of attacks and he expects them to become more threatening, but Scientologists actually seem to have remained quiet on the controversy thus far.
Rupert Murdoch in New York, June 28, 2012.
Image by KEITH BEDFORD / Reuters
Rupert Murdoch started his Sunday morning with controversy, tweeting out his strongly worded opinions on Scientology. The original tweets on the subject of Scientology and the TomKat divorce do beg the question of whether Cruise will ever work for a News Corp owned company again.
The music really makes this dozy little alpaca video so much better. Get this guy a pillow!
Happy Canada day! You're really not just America's hat, Canada. We love you for these reasons and many more.
"Are You Afraid Of The Dark"
Literally the scariest television show of all time, produced and filmed in Canada for Nickelodeon.
Before Michael Cera, there was Bryan Lee O'Malley, the Canadian cartoonist who created Scott Pilgrim character and comic series. Sex Bob-omb!
Anne Of Green Gables
The fast-talking, big-hearted heroine was created by Canadian Lucy Maud Montgomery in her amazing series of books begun in 1908. Later, the feisty red-head was also the subject of several television mini-series and films. Anne remains an inspiration to loud girls worldwide.
'90s figure-skating icon Elvis Stojko won Olympic silver twice and had a really charming mullet.
I'm using this chart to gauge all emotions from now on. From disgusted to more disgusted!
Another day, another sloth picture that will kill you with sweetness. Rainy days aren't getting this little dude down!
This fireworks/firecrackers FAIL compilation is brought to you by World Wide Interweb . Be careful out there, kids!
Love all the animals! But, seriously, this is the sickest thing ever. Shudders for everyone!
They didn't realize when they picked out these senior quotes that someday they would be famous. Athletes and media personalities have nothin' on these sassy graduates.
Next step: filling plastic baggies with poop.
Some people think America's only marsupials are no more than overgrown rats, but by the looks of this guy's adorable nom-ing, this stance needs to be re-evaluated… Pretty darn cute.
The zoo has been breeding the endangered bunnies for the last 12 years. On July 19th, they released the last 14 breeding rabbits and their babies at the Sagebrush Flat Wildlife Area in Washington state, a six-acre wild enclosure where they will be protected from predators and have a chance to breed and save their species. Long live tiny adorable rabbits!
Image by Shannon Dininny / AP
A Florida couple had their beloved dog, Sir Lancelot, cloned after he passed away in 2009. Lancelot Encore, clone of the OG Lancelot, is now the father of eight puppies who were born on July 4th: Star, Victory, Glory, Patriot, America, Independence, Allegiance and Liberty.
Lancelot Encore posing with a portrait of his "former self."
We decided to clone our beloved Lancelot for a very easy reason: The technology was finally in place. His DNA was frozen and the rest was history. They had cloned a few dogs and it seemed to be fate. The people to execute the technology were available, although a long way away in South Korea.
We are people who believe in being out front. But mostly we had found a very human dog in our Sir Lancelot. We loved and respected him and decided that 12 years was too short. He returned that feeling many times over.
We expected to get a dog that looked basically the same. We wanted the essence of our wonderful pet. What we have found is that we got so much more.Lancey Encore the clone, has the same behavior, the same movements and has all of the same traits of his predecessor. That part we did not expect. Lancelot, our PRINCE CHARMING had finally come home
And now, there are puppies!
It's definitely woof it to take a look at these easy projects and find the purrfect fit for your animal family. Most of these do-it-yourself ideas require minimal special skills or tools, and are a great way to show your pets how much you love them!
Cat Bow Tie
A Modern Pet Crate Coffee Table
Crocheted Cat Bed
Cheap and Chic Pet Bed
This sassy little thing is the first ever successful sea lion birth at the Memphis Zoo! Dat face, dat belly.
Image by Karen Pulfer Focht / AP
Image by Karen Pulfer Focht / AP
The Pembroke Welsh Corgis were featured in a skit featuring James Bond and the Queen herself — but no one was paying attention to those guys. Some background, animated GIFs, and reactions from around the web on the Olympicorgis:
The Queen As A Young Princess
The Queen Feeding Her Corgis, 1976
The Queen and her Corgis in smilier days
A hardcore gamer girl proposed to her boyfriend with this unique and adorable handmade creation. Cute!